Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Cooking with Beer, Episode 2 - Cherry, Raisin & Plum Dubbel Ice Cream

I was on fire today! I mean the beer bread turned out awesome, and i wasn't about to stop there, so I decided to bang out another dish, Beer Ice Cream. Its one of those dishes I've never had success with, but I figured why the heck not try it out once again and see where it takes me. Well it took me far beyond what I was expecting and turned out just as amazing as the Maple Syrup Beer Bread! I mean you can really taste the cherries, raisins and plums that are prominent in the beer, of which I sadly have no more of this beer...







Cherry, Raisin & Plum Dubbel Ice Cream – Recipe


Ingredients:

1 Cup - Heavy Cream

1/3 Cup - Sugar

1 Tsp. - Sea Salt

4 Large - Egg Yolks

12 Oz. - Beer (**Preferably a beer that is maltier**)


The Process:

In a medium saucepan, combine the heavy cream, sugar, and salt, and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.

In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks to break them up, then pour the hot cream mixture slowly over the egg yolks, tempering them by whisking constantly.

Transfer the mixture back into the saucepan and cook slowly over a low heat and stir constantly. The mixture will begin to thicken after 5 to 10 minutes. Take the custard off the heat when it begins to only slightly thicken on the back of a spoon. It will continue cooking from the heat within the custard and you do NOT want the yolks to overcook. Strain the custard to remove any bits of cooked egg into a separate clean bowl.

Stir the beer into the custard mixture. Refrigerate for at least 5 hours, and proceed according to your ice cream machine's instructions. From here on out you're at the whim of your ice cream machine, which mine took about 45 minutes to completely stir and freeze the ice cream. I basically set it and forget it, then came back after 45 minutes to delicious ready to eat ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment