Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Cooking with Beer, Episode 1 - Maple Syrup Beer Bread

Next to brewing, one of my other favorite hobbies is cooking. There is just something satisfying about sharing both beer and food with friends that you've created with your own two hands. And, it is for this reason, that as of late I've become very interested in combining these two passions. So, I've decided to experiment and create dishes that incorporate my homebrews. I'll start off with something common and go from there.


For my first experiment I've chosen beer bread, I mean who doesn't like fresh baked bread. Besides, beer bread is one of those recipes that I see in every beer cookbook and have always wanted to try, but have never really been successful with the outcome. To be honest with you, this beer bread turned out great and has a delicious hint of maple syrup to it!


Maple Syrup Beer Bread – Recipe


Ingredients:

3 Cups - Bread Flour

2 Tbsp. - Sugar

1 Tbsp. - Baking Powder

1 Tsp. - Sea Salt

2 Tbsp. - Maple Syrup

12 Oz. - Beer (**I used my Me So Corny**)

2 Tbsp. - Butter (**Melted**)


The Process:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9″ x 5″ x 3″ inch loaf pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Using the whisk, stir the beer and maple syrup into the dry ingredients until just mixed. (I recommend using a spatula to get all the maple syrup out of your bowl and into the bowl.

Spoon the batter into the pan, and pour the butter on top of the batter. (Use a pastry brush to spread it around if you’d like.)

Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until top is golden brown and a toothpick/knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment