Monday, July 12, 2010

Burninator (American Tripel) - Tasting

So last night I had some friends over for a blind tasting event involving American Amber Ales. It was a lot of fun, educational, definitely tasty and I grilled up some of my delicious pizzas to feed the masses. At the end of the night, as people were leaving I graced them with a bottle of the "Burninator" and asked them to let me know their thoughts on my attempt at an American Tripel. At about mid-night, 1AM I received a text from one of my friends praising the beer, curious to see how good the beer was I grabbed one from the cellar and put it in the fridge to sip throughout the brew day the next morning. So, this morning I decided to pop the top and drink it with my Fruit Loops for breakfast, and holy crap was it good!

Burninator - American Tripel
OG: 1.083
ABV: 9.2%

Look: Golden, slightly hazy (due to Wheat addition), with a creamy white head that lasts fairly well and Belgian lacing

Aroma: Sweet honey, tropical fruit, mangoes, pineapples, passion fruit, peach, apricot, grapefruit peels, with a hint of clove. The phenolic characters are only slight, while the tropical fruit characters are in your face

Taste: Starts off semi-sweet, with the hop bitterness and flavor sweeping into take the center stage. The hops bitterness definitely cuts the honey sweetness, with the tropical fruit flavors of mangoes, pineapples, apricots and grapefruit peels standing out significantly over the Pilsner malt. The alcohols are there in the finish, but are very soft. It finishes surprisingly light and dry, unlike some commercial Tripels that are too sweet big-bodied and make you feel full after a pint

Mouthfeel: Light, dry and smooth in body with a higher carbonation

No comments:

Post a Comment